Tuesday, June 22, 2010

A chance to hitch hike

Today's walk was filled with strange auto behavior. We decided to direct our walking path toward St. Peter, a close by, small town. We were walking on a pretty main road most of the way there. About half way down the road, with cars whizzing by...because they do NOT stop or even slow down when you're walking on the side of the street, crossing the street, really anything near the street...eventually we her the crunching of wheels behind us get closer...and then slower? That's odd. We turn around and this single lady says, "Hallo! Are you going to Braunau?" She motioned toward her backseat like "Yeah, come on in, I'll drive ya'll there." It was only Kelsey and I, but still, I've never been offered a ride from a total stranger before. Nice lady lol.

When we got into St. Peters, we walked by this church with a large funeral party (ok, not positive it was a funeral party, but it kinda seems to be the only explanation)eating outside. As we were walking down the stairs to get to the main sidewalk again, this large garbage truck slowed way down and just starts honking at us. We're kinda like "uhh...ok.....awkward" and keep walking. Well the honking gets louder and more incessant...we quicken our step. Suddenly, we hear all this shouting from the driver. So finally I turn around and as I turn I realize I don't have my camera anymore. So it clicks. This truck driver saw me drop my camera and took the time to literally pull into the middle of the street and honk for a solid 45 seconds until the stupid die Touristien turns around and picks up her Fotoapparat. A little embarrassing, considering he had completely stopped traffic for me, but I will be forever grateful!

Today was the first day I felt like I knew what they were talking about in my class. I did some hardcore vocab studying last night. I've started to write down each chapters vocab words, with its article, the plural form of the word, and the English translation. Memorizing the articles of the words as well was what pronoun (er, es, die, der, das, sein, seine, dein, deine, eure, eurne, meine, meine, ist, ihr, ihre, Ihre, Ihr, ect) will definitely take the longest....along with pronunciation. I am infamous here for not being able to pronounce anything. Not being able to roll my R's is a pretty huge problem. I'm also infamous for my larger in size caboose, so I guess I'm known for that no matter what continent I'm on lol

1 comment:

  1. I'm so jealous! That's is awesome that the hitchhiking sha-bang fell in your lap :-D awesomeawsomeawesome.

    Wow, that guy was super nice. Too bad not everyone is as return-camera-friendly (I'm thinking about Scott's experience here). Yay for nice people!

    You've only been there for like a blink. I'm sure madgood pronunciation will come :-)

    ReplyDelete