Monday, July 5, 2010

Castles and the Internet (No relation)

Yesterday, we celebrated the 4th of July at two castles!...Actually not that exciting. Well it was...ok...breathe...let me explain. (I get ahead of myself)

The day started with breakfast at 7:15. We packed a sack lunch and were off....on a pretty sweet bus. We all could have two seats to ourselves, so we just sacked out and slept the 3 hour drive away.

As we approached the Neuschwanstein castle...wow....beautiful (google it and you'll see why). But everyone knows me as a sucker for scenery. I can just go on and on about it. But this castle...just sits on this lush, green mountain side. It's on a plateau and is surrounded by mountains, and a huge lake. Freakin' beautiful. Unfortunately, the king of that time had extremely ambition plans and only finished 15 of the 200 rooms in the castle. And those 15 rooms were the only ones we could tour. Now 15 ROOMS sounds like a lot...but they were counting things like the king's dressing room, and probably hallways or something lol. The point is, it took us a half hour to get through the tour.

The other castle, must less impressive. Although I can't really say why, except the walls were covered in murals versus the extreme golden laden EVERYTHING, which is more to my liking haha. We were unable to take pictures inside of either of the places, so what i'm talking about will probably remain a mystery to all of you.

As for the internet. They have cut our hours down, and now we only have access two hours every day. Hopefully, I'll be able to update my blog just as frequently, but if missing for awhile, you'll know why.

We don't have an excursion this Wednesday like we usually do, but instead are taking a three day trip to Vienna! Austria's capital. Noooo idea what we're doing there, but i'm excited!!

As for the 4th of July, Bogi should their love for us foreigners and lit some fireworks (surely more than dad ever would have if I had been at home lol--you know it's true). We say a weak "Oh Say Can You See" and ate hot dogs and watermelon, but for some reason had Spanish music playing in the background the whole time.

Speaking of foreigners, I think just about the strangest thing of being here is when people ask where I'm from. I'm just to saying "From Union College," or "South Dakota" maybe even "Sioux Falls." But here, they're looking for a country. And it's weird when people say "yeah that word is hard for foreigners to say." Definitely a different feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment